Manager - Internal Controls
Harrisburg, NY 17120
The Manager of Internal Controls position is a leadership role which requires skills in leading, influencing and coaching others, sound judgment, excellent communication skills, organizational knowledge, self-management, and strong U.S. General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) experience. This position is instrumental in the planning, scoping, executing, and reporting of SOX and conduct compliance and operational audits.
- Serve as a key contact for SOX/internal control related issues or questions.
- Assist with the analysis of financial and IT risk assessment and the development of audit scope and test plans.
- Ensure accuracy of the control process documentation. Consult with key leaders on the design of internal controls associated with new business processes and/or system changes.
- Evaluate the Company’ s internal control environment and assess the design, effectiveness and adequacy of key processes based on walkthroughs and compliance testing.
- Based on the audits performed, prepare audit reports/audit recommendations, communicating results to management/business partners and assisting them with developing corrective action plans, including root cause analysis, as well as facilitate the remediation of control gaps.
- Ensure audit findings are appropriately resolved and audit reports issued on a timely basis. Responsible for the escalation of critical issues to senior management of the company.
- Coordinate with internal and external auditors on deliverables and ensure all audit functions are optimized.
- Manage the data analytics program based upon risk, scope and audit project objectives. Ability to interpret business data and translate into insightful recommendations.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and understanding of accounting and auditing standards, industry and technology trends.
- Manage and provide leadership to staff and conduct training as needed.
- 10-15% domestic and international travel, generally advance notice provided.
- Strong knowledge of GAAP and SOX.
- Must be able to think critically and perform analytical procedures on complex tasks such as risk assessment and quantification of control deficiencies.
- Must be able to effectively present complex concepts, audit results and recommendations to business owners across functional areas and levels of management.
- Ability to lead complex projects as well as the ability to work independently with minimal managerial supervision.
- Excellent writing, verbal communication, analytical, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Bachelor’ s degree from an accredited university or college with a degree in Business Administration (Accounting or Finance) required
- This position requires a CPA and CISA certification
- Must have three years to five years accounting or auditing experience.
- Public accounting (Big 4) experience is preferred.
- One to two years of supervisory or managerial experience a plus.
- Prior experience with data analytics and IT control testing activities is desired.