Richmond, VA 23274
The Senior Accountant is responsible for the proper and timely recording of financial transactions in the general ledger in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), policies and internal control standards. Responsibilities include analyzing account transactions, preparing complex account reconciliations, resolving reconciling items, and preparing accounting statements and reports. Provides training for systems processes and procedures for accounting team members. Facilitates productivity, system and procedural changes to streamline processes and increase productivity. Plans, coordinates and resolves accounting matters with other accounting team members, departments, and business units. Works independently and provides guidance to Accountants and Accounting Technicians. Develops solutions to accounting problems of moderate scope and complexity. Works under the direction of Accounting Manager.
Senior Accountant Essential Functions:
- Ensures proper and timely recording of financial transactions in the general ledger in accordance with GAAP, policies and internal control standards.
- Communicates and supports analytical findings.
- Pursues resolution of business issues impacting the financial statements in a proactive, independent manner.
- Prepares journal entries, including appropriate documentation.
- Ensures that general ledger and sub-ledger are reconciled and reconciling items are resolved.
- Prepares schedules, supporting documents, and variance analyses for management.
- Prepares account reconciliations for moderate to complex accounts.
- Reviews account reconciliations with the Accounting Manager.
- Participates in month end close activities.
- Proactively participates in month-end balance sheet, income statement and changes in financial position.
- Communicates issues and resolutions to management and affected areas/departments.
- Coordinates solutions to problems of moderate complexity with other departments and business units.
- Provides guidance, coaches and reviews work of Accountants and Accounting Technicians.
- Provides training for systems processes and procedures for accounting team members.
- Provides education on the use and interpretation of analyses, reports, methodologies and source data management.
- Monitors work for proper internal controls and SOX requirements and recommends improvements.
- Assists with audit requirements and is responsible for information requests.
- Identifies and communicates opportunities for change to improve performance.
- Ensures that automated interfaces to the general ledger are functioning as intended.
- Identifies and communicates system problems to management.
- Reviews posting of automated, system-generated entries.
- Utilizes tools such as system queries and download, Excel functions (pivot tables and Vlookup) and Access database.
- Facilitates productivity, system and procedural changes to streamline processes and increase productivity.
- Performs special projects of moderate to complex scope.
- Maintains desktop procedures and manuals.
- Participates in departmental projects and initiatives.
- Participates effectively in a team environment.